Technology is advancing fast to control nearly every aspect of human activity especially business. Therefore, Information Technology is an attempt to prepare professionals in computer and technology who will have an edge as they apply what they have learnt to a variety of other careers in life. This program is designed with emphasis on having a student acquire the business, media, computing and communication skills necessary for employment and career opportunities in today’s ICT industries and business organizations.
To develop skills which will be responsive and relevant to the country’s manpower, required at the middle level, equip the student with skills for employment and/or self-employment and skills to use IT systems with emphasis on environmental protection.
A student will have adequate skills to enable them perform systems analysis and design, software development tasks and administrative duties and grow into professionals with theoretical and practical skills in the Information Technology (IT) sector
Upon completion of the programme the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate foundation Skills in different software applications and programming fundamentals, communications, business processes and project planning.
- Demonstrate Database Related Skills in data modeling, database design, administration and management.
- Demonstrate Computing Infrastructure Skills in network administration and security and information systems.
- Demonstrate Internet Related Skills in web technologies and human computer interface.
- System Analyst or designer
- Maintenance Engineers
- Installation Engineers
- Web Developer
- Software Engineer/Developer
- IT Support
- Multimedia Designer
In all fields of Work, Business, Government, NGOs, etc
This program is available at different academic levels from Certificate, Diploma and Bachelor’s Degree.
Admission Criteria to this program
- Candidates seeking admission through the direct entry scheme to Certificate in this program require at least 5 passed and the same sitting in Uganda Certificate of Education (UCE).
- Candidates seeking admission through the direct entry scheme to Diploma in this Program require at least one principle Pass in Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE) with ICT Subsidiary and at least 5 passed and the same sitting in Uganda Certificate of Education (UCE). However, candidates with an academic certificate from a recognized institution of higher learning in a similar field will qualify for a diploma in this program.
- Candidates seeking admission through the direct entry scheme to Bachelor’s degree in this Program require at least two principle Passes in Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE) and at least 5 passes in Uganda Certificate of Education (UCE) or a second Lower-division diploma in a similar field.
- Candidates who do not meet the above criteria will be allowed to join and will be first admitted to a Higher Education Certificate which is an equivalence of A ‘level attended for 8 Months. Candidates who succeed in this course will be directly admitted to the program of their choice according to their level of performance.
- This Program Only Apply to candidates who passed through A ‘level and didn’t meet the admission criteria. It also applies to international students with qualifications that do not qualify them direct entry.
Mode of Study
Full semester sessions twice a year, diploma and certificate course duration is two years and 3 years for a Bachelor’s Degree.