The Journalism and Multimedia Communication Technology is designed to equip students with not only outstanding theoretical and practical foundation in the fields of Print Media, Broadcasting, Multi-Media (Internet-based operations), Public Relations, Advertising, and Photojournalism but will also equip them to be agents of transformation – bringing the gospel and serving God’s agenda in the media sector.
The rapid growth of the communications sector requires people who are adequately trained in various aspects of communication. Indeed, the forces of globalization raise the imperative for adopting better ways of communicating efficiently and effectively.
Journalism and multimedia communication technology are critical in dealing with institutionalized forms of public message production and dissemination, operating on a large scale. It functions through the complex media of print journalism, radio, television, public relations, and the Internet.
Key main areas include Print and Photo Journalism, Broadcasting, Public Relations and Advertising, Christian communication worker, etc.
At the end of the programme, the students should be able to:
- Acquire knowledge, skills, attitudes, and values in public communication in order to create awareness in society
- Critically analyze contemporary issues in society and disseminate information through various and up-to-date mass media communication technologies using the latest software.
- Equip graduates with the right knowledge and skills that should enable them to become more competitive, creative, and enterprising in both the local international mass media environments
- Train students appropriate technology to collect, process, store and disseminate timely information
- Train students to write accurate, objective, fair and balanced stories.
- Train students to be self-motivated in utilizing skills and knowledge acquired to develop mass communication careers for self-reliance.
- Perform managerial, administrative, and overall leadership roles with efficiency and effectiveness.
- Integrate journalism and communication knowledge and skills with the Christian worldview so as to bring about holistic transformation for self and society.
- Practice good stewardship by employing astute journalism policies that ensure quality, sustainability and profitability in an organization.
Career opportunities in this program
- Fashion Photographer
- Film Director
- TV Correspondent
- Radio Jockey
- Sound Engineer
- Special Correspondent
- Video Jockey
- Art Director
- Event manager
- Public Relations Officer and many others
Admission Criteria for this program.
- Candidates seeking admission through the direct entry scheme to Diploma in this Program require at least one principle Pass in Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE) and at least 5 passed and the same sitting in Uganda Certificate of Education (UCE). However, candidates with an academic certificate from a recognized institution of higher learning in a similar field will qualify for a diploma in this program.
- Candidates seeking admission through the direct entry scheme to Bachelor’s degree in this Program require at least two principle Passes in Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE) and at least 5 passes in Uganda Certificate of Education (UCE) or a second Lower-division diploma in a similar field.
- Candidates who do not meet the above criteria will be allowed to join and will be first admitted to a Higher Education Certificate which is an equivalence of A ‘level attended for 8 Months. Candidates who succeed in this course will be directly admitted to the program of their choice according to their level of performance.
- This (Higher Education Certificate) Program Only Apply to candidates who passed through A ‘level and didn’t meet the admission criteria. It also applies to international students with study levels that do not qualify them direct entry.
Mode of Study
Full semester sessions twice a year, 2 years for Diploma and for 3 years for a Bachelor’s Degree.