AfRU was founded in 2013 by Africa Renewal Ministries, an indigenous Christian ministry, which provides sponsorship for over 8,000 children and young adults across the country.
The university exists to equip and transform leaders in their various disciplines so they too can be agents of transformation in their communities.
Attaining a university status was a culmination of a journey that started earlier with Gaba Bible Institute (GBI) and later Africa Renewal Christian College(ARCC).
In January 2007, the school began with 35 students and a commitment to equip Christian leaders for the transformation of society.
June 2010 GBI was issued with provisional License by NCHE to operate as a tertiary institution. September 2010 – changed location from Gaba to a newly purchased 23 acre campus in Buloba and changed name to Africa Renewal Christian College (2011) after shifting from Gaba.
December 20th 2013, AfRU was issued with Provisional License as Africa Renewal University and February 28 2014, it was officially launched by the Executive Director National Council for Higher Education Prof. Opuda Asibo
January 25th, 2023 AfRU was cleared by National Council for Higher Education for the grant of a charter.
Today, there are overr 1000 students from 45 different tribes in Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, DRC, Ethiopia, Tanzania, Sudan, Eritrea, Somalia, Ghana, South Sudan, Nigeria, Guinea, Australia, Guinea and Kenya who are being equipped as leaders in ministry and community development.
To be a premier Christian University focused on Transformational Leadership for the Church and Society
We commit ourselves to develop a new generation of Christian leaders whose lives are transformed by rigorous study of Scripture, impassioned love for God, and faithful service to the nations.
- We are a CHRIST-CENTRED educational Institution
- We practice INTEGRITY and encourage ACCOUNTABILITY in every aspect of life
- We pursue EXCELLENCE by setting high standards in our academics and ministry
- We practice biblical STEWARDSHIP with our time, talents and treasures
- We embrace COMMUNITY by living and working in unity to fulfill God’s purpose for the body of Christ
- We seek to develop a GLOBAL PERSPECTIVE of the body of Christ as we equip leaders for the developing African context.
Africa Renewal University’s Statement of Faith has been adopted from The Gospel Coalition’s Confessional Statement, which is rooted in the Scriptures and centered on the Gospel.